The Sockless, Ankle-Baring Look
The best way to embrace summer is to dive right into it. Having said that, it’s important that we alter our clothing to suit the warm weather. We need to make a shift in what we wear and how we wear it. For all of us who would still like to or have to wear a trouser or a denim even at the peak of summer, it’s time we understand a new trend that’s here for the season – the sockless, ankle-baring look.
The sockless, ankle-baring look is a new trend for the style-conscious gent. The idea of baring a sizeable amount of the ankle either by cropping or folding your trouser just above the ankle & not wearing socks is the sum of what this look is all about.
How To Roll Up
To understand this ankle-baring trend a little better, here are a few ways to create this look for yourself.
- First up, the most basic and popular one of all is where you simply fold or loosely roll up your trouser hem a few times till the fold is at an appropriate height that makes you look great. This technique works well for a casual look. You can best achieve this roll up with a tapered fit trouser.
- Alternatively, you could go for a tighter roll that works great with trainers and street styled looks. This technique involves folding or bunching up a part of the trouser before the hem is rolled up twice to get that perfect tight roll up.
- For a smart and formal look that requires a crisp looking hem, it would be best to get your tailor to alter the hem permanently for you. This will give you the refined look that you’re looking for.
3 techniques for trouser roll up
How To Wear This Trend
Once you’ve learnt how to roll up your trouser, you will now need to understand that the style of your shoe will dictate whether you should go sockless or opt for alternate sock styles. Here are a few references to get you started.
1) Going Sockless – Going sockless while still wearing a pair of shoes might seem like a big deal for many. However, certain shoe styles work best when worn sockless. For instance, the staple summer shoe for a casual or smart casual look is the boat shoe which is best worn without socks.
As you progress with this style trend, you might want to explore other options as well. Here are a few more styles that are similar to the boat shoe and are most preferrably worn without socks (Shop Here).
2) The ankle sock / low-cut sport sock – For sports, relaxation and very casual dressing and for shoe styles such as the chukka boot and plimsoll, you could opt for wearing the ankle sock (Shop Here). This is a style that allows a glimpse of the ankle band. First up, you might want to get creative with the socks you wear.
For sports, relaxation and very casual dressing
3) The invisible socks / the footie – If your not comfortable with the idea of not wearing socks in summer then you can alternatively opt for the invisible sock which is the only option for an uncovered ankle (Shop Here).
Works well for smart and dressy shoes
Get The Look
Here are a few looks to help get you comfortable and confident with the sockless, ankle-baring trend.
Tell us what you think about this trend. Will you be able to sport the sockless, ankle-baring look this summer or is it too much for you to handle? You could also visit us at www.basicslife.com to view our Spring/Summer15 Collection.